Most people are now aware that indoor air pollution is an issue of growing concern and increased visibility. Many companies are marketing products and services intended to improve the quality of your indoor air. You have probably seen an advertisement, received a coupon in the mail, or been approached directly by a company offering to clean your air ducts as a means of improving your home’s indoor air quality. Contact us today to schedule air duct cleaning service in Elgin, Illinois.
Duct cleaning generally refers to the cleaning of various heating and cooling system components of forced air systems, including the supply and return air ducts and registers, grilles and diffusers, heat exchangers heating and cooling coils, condensate drain pans (drip pans), fan motor and fan housing, and the air handling unit housing. If not installed properly or maintained, these components may become contaminated with particles of dust, pollen, or other debris. If moisture is present, the potential for mold is heavily increased and spores may be released into your home.
If there is mold that is present in the ducts, we sometimes recommend applying a chemical, designed to kill the mold contaminants, to the inside of the duct work and the system components associated with the duct work.
What to Expect From a Duct Cleaning
At Ray’s Plumbing and Heating, we are committed to your satisfaction and safety just as much as you are. Here are a few things that you can expect from a duct cleaning:
- Open access ports or doors to allow entire system to be cleaned and inspected
- Inspect the system before cleaning to be sure that there are no asbestos-containing wraps in the heating and cooling system. Asbestos-containing materials requires specialized procedures and should not be disturbed or removed without professionally trained contractors.
- Use vacuum equipment that exhausts particles outside of the home or use high-efficiency air vacuuming equipment if it exhausts inside the home.
- Protect the carpet and furnishings during cleaning
- Use well-controlled brushing of duct surfaces in conjunction with contact vacuum cleaning to dislodge dust and other particles
- Use only soft-bristled brushes for fiberglass duct board and sheet metal ducts internally lined with fiberglass.
- Take care to protect the duct work, including sealing and re-insulating any access holes that we made or used so they are airtight.
Knowing how duct cleaning can benefit your home is quite limited since every home condition is different, it is impossible to generalize about if it would be helpful to you and your home. It is normal for the return register to be dusty as dust-laden air is pulled through the gate, but this does not indicate that your air ducts are full of heavy deposits of dust or debris; the registers can easily be taken off and vacuumed.
The most common indicator that you need to get your ducts cleaned is if you or family members are experiencing unusual or unexplained symptoms or illness that you think might be related to your home environment, call Ray’s Plumbing and Heating to inspect your vents and ducts as there might be some debris deposits.
We do recommend that if you have a fuel burning furnace that we inspect for proper functioning and service before each heating season to prevent from carbon monoxide poisoning. We can do this as we are inspecting the ducts.
By knowing this, you know exactly what we are doing, so you may let us know if something is out of place or if you notice anything different than our arrival.
With that said, why not take time out today to call in our professionals to conduct your fall plumbing inspection and ensure the overall security and safety of your home. We look forward to serving you and to providing you with all your plumbing products, repairs and service needs. Don’t hesitate. Schedule your cleaning today! Be sure to follow us on Facebook to keep up with our latest news and promotions.